The English Language Department of the School of International Relations of MGIMO University is pleased to invite you to participate in the 6th International Conference The Magic of Innovation: Outlook for linguistics and language teaching in the present context to be held in Moscow (at 76, Prospect Vernadskogo) on 20–21 October 2023.
We plan to discuss the prospective avenues and technologies of language learning and teaching, as well as the ways and forms of applying scientific research in theoretical and applied linguistics to intercultural communication, international cooperation and foreign language teaching.
The discussions will cover topical issues related to:
- new approaches in linguistics and their impact on teaching foreign languages;
- interdisciplinary studies of text and discourse;
- languages and linguistic views of the modern world;
- current issues in the theory and practice of teaching foreign languages (including Russian as a foreign language) at university;
- cross-cultural communication and its role in foreign language teaching from a modern perspective;
- new trends in the theory, practice and teaching of translation / interpreting.
Conference presentations will be organised along the following themes:
Session 1: Language Units and Speech Units in the Modern Integrated Paradigm;
Session 2: Political Discourse in a Polymodal Information Environment;
Session 3: Cognition and Communication: Constructing Reality in Discourse;
Session 4: Cross-Cultural Communication and Language Teaching On- and Offline;
Session 5: Foreign Language Teaching at University: New Challenges and Solutions;
Session 6: Teaching Foreign Languages for Specific and Academic Purposes in a New Educational Context;
Session 7: Information Technologies in Teaching Foreign Languages: The Challenges of the New Reality;
Session 8a: Translation Theory and Practice in the Digital Age;
Session 8b: Teaching Translation/Interpreting: Current Issues and Ways Forward.
- presentations (up to 10 min, speakers are strongly encouraged to use an on-screen presentation - powerpoint or a similar slide show);
- poster session (posters will be displayed on-site and on the conference web-site in the corresponding section);
- workshops, interactive seminars and round tables (60-90 min; time limit to be specified later);
- book fair (the authors of foreign language coursebooks and other teaching materials as well as academic books or book chapters published in 2021-2023 will have an opportunity to present them to the conference attendees; the format is to be specified in due course).
The working languages of the conference are Russian and English.
Applications for participation are to be sent to the Conference Team through the conference site before July 1, 2023. Conference speakers are invited to submit abstracts of their presentations (200–250 words) either in Russian or English (if the abstract is submitted in Russian, please also include the title of the proposed talk in English). The abstracts should clearly reflect the key points of the presentation: the gist of the research, references to the materials used, the methodology employed, and the results of the conducted study. Each participant may submit only one abstract for presentation.
If you are interested in holding a workshop/master class or an interactive seminar related to the theme of the conference, please submit your abstract through the website.
The conference fee for participants from non-CIS universities is 50 euros payable at the registration counter in cash; it covers a participant package, coffee breaks, the reception, and interpretation services. The conference fee does not include publication fees.
Participants whose papers have been accepted and who wish to publish them in the Proceedings of the Conference will email their articles of up to seven pages (300 words per page) including references to firstname.lastname@example.org from September 1 to October 1, 2023. The Proceedings will be published online after the conference. The publication fee will be announced in due course. The proceedings will be registered in the Russian Science Citation Index. Each article will also be assigned a DOI.
Only in-person attendees’ papers will be accepted for publication provided they are related to the theme of the conference and conform to the publication guidelines (available after the registration).
All the participants are eligible for a digital Certificate of Attendance.
Should you decide not to participate after submitting your application, please inform the Organizing Committee by October 10, 2023.
Further information (updates on the program, terms of publication, etc.) will be available at www.inno-conf.mgimo.ru.
Please note that by sending the application, you accept the rules and terms of participation in the conference.
For further questions, please contact email@example.com.